Friday, February 21, 2014

Olive Garden Copycat: Breadsticks and Alfredo dipping sauce

At my bridal shower many years ago, someone gave me a recipe book called "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes". I was so excited to find several of my favorite meals in the book, but one in particular stood out to me... Olive Garden Alfredo sauce.
Is it indulgent? Oh yes. Its full of heavy cream and butter with a little garlic.... translation? HEAVEN.
 
I also have a fun and simple breadstick recipe that tastes very similar to the olive garden breadsticks, especially with sprinkled with garlic salt and dipped in delicious Alfredo sauce.
It takes a little bit of time, so its a great one to make ahead and freeze, or save for a rainy afternoon at home. Today I had both time and the right ingredients to try them together.
I was so excited about the result, I had to share.
 

 
Recipe:
{Alfredo dipping/pasta sauce}
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups of heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
 
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the heavy cream, garlic powder, and pepper and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until thick.
When alfredo sauce has reached your desired thickness, add the parmesan cheese and stir in(sometimes I like to add a little corn starch to really thicken it up). Keep heated on low until ready to serve.
 
Pretty easy eh?? The best part is, it makes a whole pan full and you don't have to pay a spendy amount for a tiny bit in the restaurant~! You can relax on your own couch and enjoy!!
**You could also use this as a sauce to eat over linguini pasta with mini shrimp or chicken.**
   
 
 
Recipe:
{Olive Garden garlic breadsticks}
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast (I use SAF)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
 
Topping:
2 tablespoons butter melted
1/2-1 teaspoon garlic salt
 
Dissolve the sugar, yeast and water in a small bowl and let it become frothy. Now with mixer on low, add salt melted butter. Now add 2 cups of flour. Mix until combined and swap your mixer out for your dough hook. Add remaining cup of flour and let the dough hook pull the dough for about 8-10 minutes.
If you don't have a stand mixer THAT'S OK! Knead dough on countertop by hand for 10 minutes. You should have a very smooth elastic dough.
Place dough in a covered container for about an hour, or until the dough has puffed up almost double in size. Once risen, dump dough onto countertop and with a sharp knife cut dough into equal pieces (as many or few as you want). I made 16. They were perfect size for my kiddos to grab. Roll out pieces into a breadstick shape  and place on a greased sheet pan. Let rise another 45-60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Bake the breadsticks for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
When you pull the breadsticks out of the oven, immediately spread with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Serve warm with Alfredo dipping sauce.

 
 
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I used evaporated milk in place of cream, because it's what I had on-hand. I also added way more garlic powder than suggested (I usually just dump it in...I like a lot of garlic) and just used a little cornstarch to thicken. Was much easier/quicker than making a roux with flour and all that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips