Thursday, April 18, 2013

It's the small things


 Today I had such a busy day. So many things to do and get done. This afternoon my son wandered in the kitchen and opened the drawer with all of my kitchen tools. He pulled out the whisk and said "Mama! chocolate cake, chocolate cake!" I let him help me mix a box of chocolate cake up last week and he just thought it was the greatest thing ever to see the whole process and then get the delicious slice of warm chocolate cake after.
To be frank, I just wasn't feeling like cleaning up the inevitable mess that happens when you cook with kids... BUT he gave me that sweet puppy dog face and I couldn't help it.
I flipped through my Betty Crocker cookbook and we agreed on some Apple cinnamon muffins that looked so delicious.
 
 
 As I found patience and let him pour the ingredients in the bowl (and spill) and slowly stir the mix and be so proud of himself, I couldn't help but feel like there was a little bit of divine intervention happening in my kitchen. Isn't it so important to enjoy the little things? Sometimes in life we think "in a few years, I will have more money, and things will be happier." or "someday when I have all the things I've dreamed of, I will feel content"
 
---------------
 
I am making a goal to enjoy small moments in every day, because some day, and someday soon, I wont be able to make messes in the kitchen with my 3 yr old.... SO- here's to messy hands and happy faces, and a delicious recipe that will warm your heart!
 
 
Recipe:                                                                               Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup milk                                                                        2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil                                                          1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg                                                                          1/4 cup flour
2 cups all purpose flour                                                      ( I used 1/8 cup flour and 1/8 cup quick
1/2 cup sugar                                                                        oats to add texture to the topping)
2 teaspoons baking powder                                                
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 medium  apple peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
 
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a Muffin tin. (I filled each tin almost full so it only made 9 muffins). Make streusel topping, and set aside.
Beat milk, oil and egg in a large bowl. Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Do not over mix. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 medium peeled and chopped apple (I used pink lady's). Divide evenly in muffin cups.
Crumble streusel topping evenly over the tops of batter.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
 

 
Viola! Served warm, these little babies are packed with steamed chunks of apple and tasty goodness!
 
NOT SWEET ENOUGH FOR YOU? TRY THIS:

   I added a light glaze (I say light because its not frosting, and saying light makes it seem like its less fattening... right? RIGHT!)


Glaze: I added some powdered sugar in a small bowl, and just a tiny dash of milk... not too much, you can always add more. Mix it up and drizzle over the tops of the muffins.

 


 



 
 Enjoy this recipe and remember... It's the small things!
post signature
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips