Friday, August 30, 2013

Summer Zucchini Bread

I have been gathering handfuls of zucchini like this every couple of days out of my garden. Isn't it fun when the work pays off?
I asked my mom for her mother's zucchini bread recipe and I really like how it turned out. Moist with a little crunch from the walnut and a hint of cinnamon.
I hope you like it and it gives you an idea for your garden veggies!
 
 
For this recipe I only needed three cups of shredded zucchini. I obviously had much more than that so I experimented a little with peeling it to see if I could freeze it or use it that way. I realized that I didn't want big "noodley"  strips of zucchini in my bread so I tossed the strips in the blender and chopped them up.
 

 For the other left over zucchini I used my cheese grater and grated it up. For my bread and cake recipe, they both call for 3 cups of grated zucchini. I have been advised to freeze an extra cup since zucchini tends to hold so much water. I filled a few court sized bags with 4 cups each of grated zucchini and threw those babies in the freezer for another day.


Next I poured my 3 cups of chopped zucchini into a mixing bowl with my other ingredients. My little guy helped stir... baking and making memories together? What's better than that!?
The zucchini is going to look green and gooey going into your pretty batter but stir it right in and it will add a great amount of moisture to keep the bread soft and tasty!

 
 

Load the loaf pans up and let them cook away for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Your kitchen will smell amazing!
 

 
This bread can be eaten for breakfast or dessert. Its also wonderful to take to a sick friend or give as a gift. If you are going to freeze your extra loaf, make sure to let it cool to room temperature, and then pop in a gallon zip top bag with all the air squished out.
 



 
Recipe

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Beat 3 eggs and add 2 cups of sugar.
Mix in 1 cup of vegetable oil.
When this is combined add 1 teaspoon of each:
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
salt
vanilla
then add 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
Slowly incorporate 3 cups of flour, letting each cup combine completely before adding the next.

STIR in 3 cups grated zucchini and 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional but adds great texture)

Grease two loaf pans and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick tests done.


I hope you love this recipe!
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips