Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Rolled oat and buttermilk-cranberry Loaf

 
Hello there! I've been a little MIA this past week. I hate to admit it, but those winter blues are getting to me a little. I was doing really good until these last few days of gray and freezing temperatures hit us. I have been spending time bundled in blankets with my little ones, catching up on some organizing in the house (spring cleaning sneaking in) and having a few lunch and dinner dates with close friends who make me laugh. I had sort of lost my mojo there.
This morning the sun was out and even though its only in the 30's, feeling a few rays of sunshine on my cold nose was all I needed to find a little burst of HAPPY and get back in the kitchen.
I found a new recipe in my Betty Crocker "Big book of Bread" that I am really excited to share. I have loved using wheat flour and incorporating healthy grains into my family's daily meals.
This is a super easy and fast recipe, that is absolutely beautiful and fun to serve. It tastes delicious and your kitchen will smell wonderful.
Is there anything better than the scent of fresh warm bread wafting through your home on a cold windy winters day? I say no my friend, I think not.
 
I hope this recipe warms your kitchen and spirits as it did mine! 

 
 
Recipe:
1 cup rolled oats
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries or cherries
1 egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (IF YOU DONT HAVE BUTTERMILK: its ok!! I didn't either. Here is a substitution. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice OR white vinegar and enough milk to make 1 cup. Let sit for a moment before adding. Milk will slightly curdle)
 
Heat oven to 375. Spray a cooking sheet with pam. Reserve 1 tablespoon of oats for garnish.
In a mixing bowl, add oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, tarter and salt. Cut in butter using a fork until mixture looks like course crumbs. Add in dried cranberries.
 
Reserve 1 tablespoon buttermilk. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining buttermilk. Slowly mix into dry ingredients until moist. Knead 5-6 times on a lightly floured countertop. Form into a 7" round and place on cookie sheet. Brush with buttermilk and garnish with remaining oats.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 30 minutes, and slice with a serrated knife.
 
 
 I feel like this loaf has a scone-ish quality to it. Crunchy outside, soft inside. I think its best enjoyed with butter or cinnamon honey butter on top!
 
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips