Friday, June 21, 2013

Saltine Toffee bites

I have this weird thing about me where after almost every meal, I crave something sweet... it doesn't always have to be a big dessert, cookie, brownie or ice cream, sometimes just a tiny sip of coke or a bite of sweetness does the trick.
Today I wanted something salty sweet with a bit of crunch. I asked my friend Google, and look what he shared with me...
Delicious saltine toffee bites. Maybe it sounds weird to you, but I'm telling ya, one bite and you will be sold. The crunch from the cracker wrapped up in delicious caramel toffee is such a perfect combo. The best part is, it whips up in no time flat!
 

Here's how I did it.
1. Spread out 20 saltine crackers on a cookie sheet. I lined mine with foil so it made the clean up easier. Look at me go!
Pre-heat your oven at 400 degrees...
 

Next, in a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, and a 1/2 cup unsalted butter.
Bring to medium-high heat while stirring consistently.


Once the mixture comes to a boil, let it boil for an additional 3 minutes.

  
Remove from heat and spoon a bit of caramel on each cracker.
You can scoot the crackers close together and pour the caramel on all at once if you want.
When the oven is ready, pop these babies in for 5-6 minutes. They will be all bubbly on top.


After the 5-6 minutes of heating, TURN THE OVEN OFF. Pull the pan out and sprinkle chocolate chips on top, and then shut the door and let them sit in the warm oven for about 30 seconds to soften.


When they look shiny like this, they are perfect.
 Take a butter knife and spread the chocolate all out on the toffee.


Wasn't that easy?


Now let them cool for a few hours and then you can chop them up into bite size pieces.

 
 This recipe can easily be doubled and you can fit about 40 crackers on a cookie sheet.
Then you can chop them up and give them to friends and neighbors too!
(Or you can be like me and eat all of them yourself :)
 
 
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips