Thursday, October 10, 2013

Easy Crockpot Applesauce

Today I made some homemade crockpot applesauce. Usually I go through all of the work of using a strainer and canning the sauce. Today I had a smaller amount of apples, and I thought it would be fun try some delicious slow cooked goodness.
After trying this, I don't think I will ever be able to go back to any other recipe. This applesauce is perfectly chunky, tart and sweet with a hint of cinnamon, and it tastes amazing warm or cold.
YOU MUST TRY IT.
Isn't fall just THE BEST? :)
 
 
I had enough apples to make two batches today. I decided to try a different approach for each batch so that If you don't have a peeler/corer you would know the time difference for just slicing and peeling the apples yourself. Both worked great and had the exact same end result (absolutely heavenly applesauce) but the time cooking was a bit different for each.
 
For the first batch, I was able to use my little pampered chef apple peeler. It cores and peels the apples in just a few seconds making the work very minimal.
The baking time was quicker on this batch because of how thinly the apples are sliced.
 

Batch #2 had the same amount of apples, but I peeled and cored them by hand. The prep took me a little longer, but it was no biggie and I was very happy with the end result.


Recipe:
25-30 of your favorite fall apple. I used Jonathans because they are a tart and crisp apple which made for an incredibly flavorful sauce.
1 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons sugar
 
Bake the apples in the crockpot on high
BATCH 1(thinner sliced) took 3 hours and 30 minutes on high heat
BATCH 2 (thicker sliced) took just over 4 hours on high heat
 
Stir the batch of apples occasionally. As the cooking time goes on, the apples will start to break down and become a soft sauce. I did not have to blend or puree this at all. I loved the little bit of chunky texture it had, but if you wanted a completely smooth sauce you could use your blender or let it have a little bit longer cooking time.
 

 
 

This time of year tends to be a little more work as there is so much that can be canned or stored as far as food storage. I try my best not to get overwhelmed, and enjoy the moment because it always goes so quickly. I am so thankful for Fall and the happiness it brings me and the opportunity for growth and learning that it provides!
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips