Friday, August 1, 2014

Homemade {no boil} cinnamon and sugar bagels

 
 
I LOVE bagels. One of my favorite flavors is cinnamon and sugar with strawberry cream cheese. I have tried several recipes for bagels and to be honest, I have found that going and buying one from the bagel shop is much easier than mixing, boiling and baking them at home. It can be a big process.
 
I have really wanted to be able to make bagels at home to use for breakfasts throughout the week, so I have modified this recipe to be boil free and simplified. That saves money from buying them at the store, and you can freeze these if you don't use them all in one shot. I hope you like it! Every time I make these my little brother shows up at my home to steal them... This recipe makes 8 bagels so if you need more than that, make sure to double it or make two back to back batches.
Happy bagel making!
 
Recipe for {boil free} Cinnamon and Sugar bagels
Recipe source: Emmy in her Element
Makes 8 bagels per batch
 
Dough:
1 3/4 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 Teaspoons yeast (I use SAF-instant yeast, it's my favorite!)
 
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups all purpose or bread flour
 
Topping:
1 egg
Cinnamon and sugar
 
Combine warm water, yeast and sugar and let "bloom" for about 4-5 minutes. Once yeast is foamy, mix in salt and 2 cups of flour. Be sure to let your yeast get foamy before adding the salt, or the salt will kill the yeast and your bread will not rise.
 Mix for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and runny. Now switch your mixer to your dough hook, and add remaining 2 cups of flour, one at a time until combined. Let dough hook knead dough for 5-8 minutes until combined, and a smooth stretchy dough appears.
 Remove dough and add to greased bowl to rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
 On floured countertop, dump dough and cut in half with a large sharp knife (spraying the knife with pam spray will make the cutting easier). Continue to cut each piece in half and in half again until you have 8 equal sized pieces of dough.
Roll each dough chunk into a rope approximately 12 inches.
Now fold the rope in half to make a smaller rope and roll with hands a few times to stretch.
Connect the ends to make a bagel shape. I like to fold the rope around my hand, then connect the ends under the palm of my hand, and roll my hand on the counter to seal the ends together. Clear as mud? See pictures below. 
 
Roll bagel into a rope.
Fold rope in half.
Roll again to slightly stretch.
 Wrap rope around your hand and connect ends under palm of hand.
Seal ends and turn onto countertop under palm.
 Roll back a forth a few times to make sure ends are sealed together.
Voila! You made a bagel!
 
Add your bagels to a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
Let bagels rise about 25-30 minutes longer until they are large and puffy.
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
 
Beat one egg and brush on tops of bagels. Generously sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on tops of your bagels. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool and enjoy. Store bagels in a zip lock overnight if you don't use them all. These will need to be re-heated the next day to soften. Discard after 1 day old as they will harden.

 

 
 
If you like these, you might also like my
 
or my
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips