Monday, August 25, 2014

Ham and turkey salad sandwiches- perfect for a party food or light lunch

 
I worked for a bakery when I was a teenager. I normally worked early (5am) on Saturday mornings. I remember the smell of  the delicious bread baking, one of my jobs was to run it through the slicer. I also frosted the cinnamon and orange rolls, and the giant sugar cookies... (Is your tummy growling yet?)
One of my favorite lunch items was a ham and turkey salad sang. Some days I crave it so bad I have to drive back to the bakery and get one! Today I am sharing my best "copycat" recipe that I have come up with, to save myself from running into the bake shoppe. These sandwiches would be perfect for a bridal/baby shower or party, especially in the summer as the salad is served cold.
I hope you enjoy it!
 
Recipe for Ham and turkey salad sandwiches:
Recipe from: Emmy in her Element
 
8 oz smoked ham lunch meat (I used Hormel)
8 oz turkey lunch meat (I used Hormel)
1 cup chopped swiss cheese (I love Jarlsberg swiss)
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon light mayo (I use best food)
3/4 teaspoon fresh dill
1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
pinch of cracked pepper
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
 
Chop ham and turkey into small cubes and add to a medium bowl. Chop swiss cheese and celery and add to meat mix.
Mix Mayo with dill, salt, pepper and celery seed. Then incorporate into meat mixture until well combined.
Sprinkle slivered almonds over salad and lightly mix.
*Note: if you want your salad a little dryer, use the amount of mayo I have listed. If you like it more moist, feel free to add a little extra for a creamier texture.

Salad should be served cold, so let it sit in the fridge until ready to serve. You can serve this on sandwich bread, crescent rolls, or lettuce wraps (I would use butter lettuce). Perfect for a baby/bridal shower or just a simple but delicious lunch!

THIS SALAD IS GLUTEN FREE AS LONG AS SERVED ON A LETTUCE WRAP.
 

 
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips