Monday, November 24, 2014

DIY Christmas Burlap banner

 
 
Normally Christmas does not make any kind of appearance until after Thanksgiving at our house. This year? I broke the rules! I couldn't help it, the Christmas spirit got a hold of me early and up the tree went. I have enjoyed it's cozy glow every evening for two weeks now.
I am not much into cluttery décor, this year especially I have cut back and simplified everything.
I do not have a pretty mantle to decorate so instead a made this quick, easy and beautiful burlap banner to hang from my headboard. I love the simple hint of Christmas it adds.
I am going to show you how I did it so you can make one too. Wouldn't this be fun to hand out to friends?


DIY Christmas burlap banner
Idea source: Emmy in her Element
 
Supplies:
1/4 yard burlap
11/2 yards lace of your choice
Hot glue gun
White or cream craft paint
1 small sponge brush
Cookie cutters or stencil
 
Directions:
Cut a triangle out of a small piece of cardboard or cardstock. This will act as your guide to cut all of the banner flags the same size.
I cut about 8 flags for 1 1/2 yards of lace.
Find a cookie cutter or stencil you can use and place in the lower part of the flag. I chose a Christmas tree but a star, train, bulb OR gingerbread man would be adorable! Take your sponge brush and lightly dip it in the paint. Sponge inside of the cookie cutter stencil. I kept mine on the lighter side making it look more rustic and shabby.
Allow these a few minutes to dry.
Heat your glue gun (OR YOU CAN USE A SEWING MACHINE FOR THIS PART) and glue the back of the flags to a pretty lace ribbon.
Hang your banner on your mantle or headboard making a pretty Christmas decoration for any space!
 
Was the paint off of your cookie cutter if you plan to use it again for baking.
Did you see the burlap banner I made for Halloween? Go here
 

 
 
I love the look of it draped over the headboard my hubby made me!
If you would like to see other pics from my bedroom go here.



It looks like a little munchkin has located the Christmas chocolate count down calendar. Well so much for that idea. I'm not sure hiding it under Mom's covers was the best option.

 
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips