Saturday, March 2, 2013

Melt in your mouth Pot Roast

Beef Pot Roast- a Family favorite
 
I have recently done a post on "My take on a French dip sandwich", the beginning in which, is a great tutorial on how to get started on a pot roast. Go here to read it
 
After you get to the "adding it to the pot" come back here!
 

So you have seared your roast, sauteed your onions, added your beef broth and seasoned with salt and pepper. (I even like to add a few extra things like chopped garlic, or garlic powder, onion powder and/or fresh herbs) Don't be afraid to experiment, just watch the portions you are adding so nothing gets over-powering.

The most important key to getting this dish right is allowing enough time for the roast to cook. If you are at home and you don't have a crock pot, you can let this dish bake in the oven in a covered pot. 350 degrees for 4-6 hours should be golden.
Otherwise, I like to cook it in the crock pot because I can set it on low, and let that baby slow cook for 6-8 hours. When I worked full time a few years ago, I used to come home at lunch, prepare the meat, throw it in the pot, and them come home with sore feet at 6pm and walk into my kitchen smelling like absolute heaven. Talk about comfort food. The other thing I like about a crock pot is that it doesn't heat up your home like the oven. This is especially a good thing in the summer.

About 45 minutes to 1 hour before you are ready to eat/serve, slice up a couple of russet potatoes. My husband likes me to leave the skins on, and I think it adds a nice texture too. I also like to add baby carrots. If you want a more rustic looking dish, you can add the long garden carrots, chopped in half or thirds.

Add a little fresh parsley to freshen it up after cooking for so long, and serve up a nice helping of the veggies and fall apart roast. Add a little fresh salt and pepper on top, and a slice of homemade bread on the side if you have it.
 

 
 
 Last but not least, watch the smiles on your family's face as they devour this homey dish that is sure to please... and feel like superwoman because you are!
 
post signature

 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips