Friday, March 1, 2013

My take on the "French Dip sandwich"

I wanted to make a special dinner last night because I have been a bit lazy with my meals this week.
I went to my favorite butchery and snagged a really good looking Rump Roast.  Typically I have these in my freezer and just pull them out and toss them in the crock pot, but since this one was fresh, I wanted to sear it before adding it to the pot. 7 bone chuck Roast also works well with this dish.
 

I seasoned it with salt and pepper before adding it to a hot pan with a little extra virgin olive oil.
 

 
 After that baby is seared on all sides, remove it and add it to your crock pot.
Look at the BEAUTIFUL caramelization!
BUT WAIT!!
Before you throw that "dirty looking" pan in the sink.... let me tell you about a little hidden treasure.
The tiny bits of beef "crusties" that are stuck to the pan... These add amazing flavor if you take an extra minute to "deglaze" the pan and make a little sauce to add to the Roast.
 
HOW DO I "DEGLAZE" THE PAN you ask?
 
Simply add a little beef broth while it is still hot and use a wisk to scrape up all that compact flavor. You can also use Red Wine to do this to add whatever flavor you like.
 
 

 
After it boils and you feel like the beef bits have been scraped, turn off the heat and pour the sauce over your Roast. I also add the rest of the box of beef broth to the crock pot. You want the liquid to be at least 1/2 to 3/4 covering your meat.
 
.
 
Next cut up and onion and sauté it in the same pan that you used for the meat.
Just trying to save you a few dishes here!


 
Add it to your crockpot and turn that baby on high. Put on the lid and let that pot of love cook for 6 or more hours until you stab the meat and it falls of the fork because it is so tender.
I like to have it on high for the first three hours and then turn it to low for the last few so it cooks slower and just becomes melt in your mouth tender. If your going to be gone, just go with low for the entire time.
 
A few days ago I made some homemade bread and I put the extra loaf in the freezer. The best part of it is, when my husband comes home, he's going to think I have slaved all day over this meal, when in reality it took less than 20 minutes to prepare the beef in the crockpot and I am pulling out some beautiful bread to thaw.
 
 
  I'm super sneaky like that. :)
 
When the meat is ready, bread is thawed, Family is hungry...
Pull some of the meat out onto a plate and shred it up a little. You wont have to try very hard. Top it with a few of the onions and some cheese. I love swiss cheese the best, but I only had combo shredded cheddar tonight. I was still DELISH.
 
 
  Slice a piece of bread, and add a little butter and garlic bread seasoning. If you don't have this, just add garlic powder or a very light amount of garlic salt. Toast it in the pan, and construct your sandwich. DONT FORGET to put some of the beef au ju from the crock pot in a bowl to dip it in.


 This will serve several people, or be a great left over for the next day!
I hope you enjoy it! I was literally trying not to smile while eating it because it is so delicious and to me there is nothing better that home cookin' comfort food.
Happy cooking.
 
post signature







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips