Sunday, January 26, 2014

Healthy and delicious Chicken Lime soup

 
 
 I am excited to have a member of my family guest posting on my blog today. Her name is also Emily. She is an amazing mother, and she loves to cook for her family. Like all of us, she is busy searching for healthy recipes that still have flavor. She was kind enough to share this recipe with me, and now we want to share it with you. Happy cooking!
 

 
Hi, I'm Emily,  I'm so excited to share this recipe with you!
 I'm always looking for great healthy recipes I can whip together for my family and I'll be honest, sometimes it's just altering another recipe to be what I want :) With three kids, that all seem to be busy and growing, and a husband who is gone long hours working all day on his feet it's important that we can reconnect and relax at the dinner table. I generally opt for easy and fast dinners during the week, but I never sacrifice flavor! Like most moms I have limited time (and energy) by the end of the day so having my list of go-to dinner ideas is so handy! This one is on it ;) In our house you eat everything given to you before you can have seconds of anything and my kids know (the older ones) that I am not a cook to order chef ;) that being said, it's important to me that when my kids sit down to dinner or any other meal that they like what they see, smell and taste! I make an effort to make things fun at the table even if that means just getting to pick their own toppings; It makes them feel like they are choosing what's for dinner. A great little trick I'll keep up my sleeve as long as I can! I want to tell you why I love this recipe. It's fast, it's easy, it's inexpensive and most importantly it feeds a whole heap of people :) and with only 5 main ingredients how could you go wrong? One of my concerns when it comes to feeding my family is the quality of what I am giving them. That's why I love cooking! I know exactly what I'm putting into all of my dishes... Including the TLC! I hope this recipe makes it to your dinning table and that you have as much fun making and eating it as my family does! Many blessings from our kitchen to yours!

 



 
Recipe:{Main Ingredients}
10 C. Water 
12 tsp. Chicken bullion granules 
4 C. Shredded chicken
2 C. Salsa verde
1 1/2 cups Wild or brown rice
2 1/2 tsp. Ground cumin seed

{Optional Toppings}
Avocado
Cilantro
Lime 
Tortilla chips
Cheese
Tomato slices
Directions:

Place water and bullion granules in a 6qt soup pot and warm on low-med.
Heat some oil on med in a large skillet. Place three or four breasts in the oil making sure to flip over to cook fully. When chicken is done place one breast at a time on a cutting board and shred with two forks. Add chicken, salsa, rice and cumin to the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low-med for 45 minutes. Garnish each bowl with toppings, cilantro and lime juice to taste (about 1/4 lime per bowl).

 
I was thankful Emily shared this recipe with me, my family loved it and I was actually able to freeze the left overs because it makes a large batch. I will save it for another night when I'm short on time. This soup is a fun change up to traditional soups we usually have. It is so tasty with all of the different toppings you can use, not to mention its ingredients are healthy!
post signature


1 comment:

  1. I'm making this for the second time tonight- yum! We love this soup. I just need to get a bigger pot so I can make a whole recipe instead of half. :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips