Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Olive oil and Spinach Waffles with Berry lime compote

 
I am sitting here at my breakfast table with the sun shining through the window onto my plate. I am savoring every bite of my delicious health conscious breakfast while the kids are watching morning cartoons- and I am having a moment. A moment free of "mommy I need..." and worrying about the laundry and dirty dishes. A moment free of paying bills or getting hit in the head with a flying toy.
A moment of pure relaxation and calmness. A mini vacation lets call it... and it wouldn't be a perfect vacation without a delicious meal to accompany me.
This morning I wanted to experiment with healthy waffles. I have made a few batches of pancakes recently found Here and Here and they are so tasty but its fun to mix things up. It also helps to keep the kiddos interested in trying something new. Mixing spinach into meals verses serving it raw can be a great way to "trick" yourself or family into enjoying it. I have also found it has been easy for us to make the switch from white flour to whole wheat. I actually really love the texture it adds to my bread items.
 
In this recipe I used all wheat flour and no added sugars. Honey is a healthy alternative to sugar, it adds a floral sweetness and I love the texture from the oats. I honestly can't even tell that the spinach is in the waffles except for the cool green color it adds.
And for my absolutely favorite part? The Berry compote topping. It is tart and sweet, tangy and warm from the very slight hint of cinnamon. It is so delicious served warm OR cold. Give it a try... you will feel like superwoman.
 
Here's how I did it....
 
 
Recipe: (serves 3-4 adults, double if more is needed)
{Berry Lime Compote}
1 1/3 cups fresh or frozen berries.
1 lime
2 tablespoons honey (this leaves the syrup tart, add more honey if you want it sweeter)
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cinnamon stick or 1/8th teaspoon cinnamon


 
 Add 1 cup of the frozen or fresh berries into a saucepan. I used blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries from a frozen pack.
Add the juice of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons honey. Stir and add cinnamon stick.
Heat compote and stir occasionally, simmering until fruit has softened and blended together. (About 10 minutes or so)
Once fruit has broken down, add 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken. Whisk until desired consistency and then add 1/3 cup of fresh or frozen fruit to compote to give it whole fruit chunks along with the syrup. Remove cinnamon stick.
 Compote can be enjoyed warm, or cooled and stored in the fridge and served as a cold syrup over pancakes or waffles!
 
{Olive oil and spinach waffles}
1 3/4 cup low fat milk
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup spinach
2 tablespoons warm honey (warming it for 5-7 seconds helps it incorporate easier)
1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of dry oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
 
Add all ingredients into blender except flour and oats. Blend until spinach is finely pureed. Add flour and oats and blend just until mixed. Pour batter into a greased waffle iron.
Makes 6-7 large waffles.
 

 
             xoxo
post signature

l

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips