Thursday, January 9, 2014

Spinach and honey-oat Pancakes

 A few weeks ago I came up with my {Sunday Morning} Oat and Honey breakfast cakes. They are so delicious and I felt even more excited about them once my kiddos started chowing them down. In my efforts to try to keep eating healthier, I have made a sister recipe by adding spinach to my pancakes. By blending the spinach into the mix, my kids did not even realize that I added a leafy green packed with antioxidants, vitamin C, A, iron and calcium to their breakfast, and it was like music to my ears when Benson yelled "Mommy! I want more pancakes!"
 
 
Recipe:
1 cup organic baby spinach
1 cup low fat milk
1 beaten egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons honey- (warm in microwave for 10 seconds to help it incorporate easier)

In your blender, add 1 cup of low fat milk, and 1 cup of spinach. lightly beat an egg and add to the mix. Blend these together on low. Heat 2 tablespoons of honey for about 10 seconds in the microwave, this will help it incorporate easier. Pour into blender. Add salt, oil, baking powder and oats. Blend together and hit the puree button for a minute or two to really finely blend the spinach. Now add your wheat flour and mix until incorporated.

Heat a pan to medium on the stove and grease with pam cooking spray. Pour cakes two at a time in pan, and give them time to cook through. Make sure your heat it on medium low, as these cakes brown very quickly.

Serve with a side of strawberries or fresh fruit.

This recipe makes 7-8 regular sized pancakes.

 
 
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips