Saturday, January 25, 2014

Rosemary and Olive oil Roasted Vegetable Medley

 
 
My mom and I love to share recipes with each other. This results in several phone calls each day, where one of us excitedly shares a new discovery for a delicious dish. It's kind of just what we do. I was so happy when she told me about a vegetable dish that tastes delicious and involves eating EIGHT different vegetables at the same time!! YES! you heard me right... eight. This was intriguing to me because I am not very good at eating my vegetables. It seems like it comes more as a chore to me, I do it because I know I should- not because I want to. I constantly find myself looking for different ways to cook them up creatively.
 
 
Recipe:
{seasonings}
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 heaping teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
{vegetables}
1 fennel root
1 acorn squash
1 sweet potato
1/2 sweet onion
1/2 purple onion
1 container whole mushrooms
5-6 red potatoes
4 mini sweet peppers
 
Chop all your vegetables into bite sized chunks and add to a large bowl. Add Olive oil and  seasoning's on top and stir well. Add to a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about an hour or until potatoes fork test tender. When veggies are tender, turn oven on Lo Broil. Bake the veggies for 3-4 extra minutes to get an extra crispiness on top from the broiler.

*Leave mushrooms in half as they will cook down quiet a bit.  Don't be afraid to peel an acorn squash. It seems hard but let me show you how I did it...
 Start but cutting the squash in half. Then turn it over face down so it can't move around on you.
 

 
Take a knife and slice down the sides of it until all of the skin is peeled off. Cut into slices and then chunks.
 

Not sure what Fennel is? It maybe labeled as Anise at the store. I can promise you the checker wont know what it is. They ask me EVERY time. :) It has a licorice flavor and that sounds like a funny thing to add, but I love it because of it's subtle sweetness and unique flavor.
It will come with some large green stems growing out the top. You will want to chop the top and fibrous bottom from it, and peel the outer layers. Chop the inside into bite sized chunks.

 
I found a bag of about 25 of these sweet peppers at my local grocery store. They were less than $6 and I can use them in so many ways. For this dish I just sliced them up and added them on top of the other veggies. They develop a sweeter flavor as they roast.


As I was chopping  these vegetables up and could smell  the fresh rosemary and seasonings on top of them, I knew I was in for a treat.

We enjoyed these veggies as a delicious side dish to bone in chicken breasts seasoned with Weber "Kick'N Chicken seasoning"... one of my favorites. The chicken breasts take just a minute longer than the veggies, so add them first to get a head start. Then you can pull them all out at the same time and hear "ummmm... what smells good Mom!"

 

 
I guess you're never too old to have your Mother trying to get you to eat your vegetables- but in this case, I didn't put up too big of a fight!
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips